Results tagged ‘ New York Yankees Rumors ’
Jermaine Dye’s name continues to be mentioned in various trade rumors. The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting a potential deal that would send the future free agent Dye to the Yankees for struggling RF Bobby Abreu. Aside from the fact that Abreu and White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen are close friends, the Sox are subscribing to the theory that Abreu is simply off to a slow start and will heat up along with the summer temperatures.
The other prevalent deal that won’t seem to die has the White Sox sending Dye to the Phillies for former White Sox fan favorite Aaron Rowand and some bullpen help. This trade almost happened at the Winter Meetings and also during Spring Training but never came about because the Phillies wanted reliever Matt Thornton included and the White Sox didn’t want to part with him. However, now the Sox have a new bargaining chip in struggling Mike MacDougal, whom the Phillies may consider making a reclamation project.
As if that weren’t enough, the San Francisco Giants are also said to have some interest in acquiring the outfielder.
In my opinion, the deal that makes the most sense for the White Sox would be to send Dye to the Yankees for Abreu. I think they will miss Dye’s pop in that lineup more than they realize, and I don’t buy the thought that Abreu is finished. He is only 33 years old and has a career .300 batting average to go along with his .409 on base %. There is no reason to believe that he somehow forgot how to hit over the winter, I think he simply needs a confidence boost. His defense has always been a little overrated, but he is still an average outfielder with a good arm. Lately he has started to show some signs of life at the plate and is beginning to demonstrate that he could be a very valuable acquisition to any team willing to roll the dice with him.
~ Guest Blogged by Derek Wonderland
Yankees fans have been looking forward to Roger Clemens return to the mound since the 7th inning stretch two weeks ago when he announced that he would once again don the pinstripes. However, according to the New York Daily News, it looks like they’ll have to wait just a bit longer.
"A source with knowledge of the Yankees’ plans said Clemens would probably make his third and final start on Tuesday with Triple-A Scranton against Toledo instead of making his big-league season debut in Toronto against the Blue Jays."
That would likely mean Clemens’ return to a big league mound would happen on June 4th agains the White Sox rather than the series before that, against the Red Sox at Fenway Park. While it might not be the storybook version people in New York and the media hoped to see, I’m willing to bet Yankees fans would rather see the 44 year old (explain to me again why people don’t think he’s done steriods?) not get shelled in his first game back, especially if it were in Fenway. And, with the way the Bombers have been playing lately, there is less sense of desperation, and more hope that Clemens will be helping them beat the Sox in October, not just early June.
Just because the rivalry between the Yankees and Red Sox hasn’t been what we expected in terms of the standings so far this year, doesn’t mean the two AL East power houses aren’t competing. The latest battle ground is reportedly Colorado Rockies first baseman, Todd Helton. If you remember, the Red Sox were rumored to be interested in Helton during the offseason but nothing ever came of those. Helton’s contract makes him no bargain but of course the Yankees might be coming into some extra money if they have their way with Jason Giambi’s contract. Of course, that’s assuming they can offer the Rockies enough value in return. It’s hard not to think that the Yankee’s renewed interest in voiding their deal with Giambi isn’t affected by Helton’s apparent availability. Helton’s .360 batting average would look mighty nice in the struggling Bombers’ lineup. The Red Sox on the other hand, already have a first baseman that’s performing pretty well right now and would be dealing form a position of strength. However this plays out, it’s nice to see the Yankees competing with the Red Sox on some level this year.
Just when it looks like a bit of the fervor over steroids in baseball dies down a bit, something else happens to stir it back up. Last Friday Jason Giambi was quoted as saying that he "was wrong for doing that stuff [steroids] What we should have done a long time ago was stand up – players, owners, everybody – and said: ‘We made a mistake.’ We should have apologized back then and made sure we had a rule in place and gone forward. … Steroids and all of that was a part of history. But it was a topic that everybody wanted to avoid. Nobody wanted to talk about it."
While it’s refreshing to finally hear a player involved in this whole mess stand up and take responsibility for his actions, Giambi’s admission might have landed him back in hot water. The New York Daily News reports that "The Yankees may be looking into voiding Jason Giambi’s contract." The commissioner’s office is also reportedly looking into the issue but it’s unknown what if any recourse league officials would have.
To me, this entire episode illustrates just how wrong MLB has handled the issue of steroids and performance enhancing drugs. You have a player stand up and accept responsibility for his actions. He admits he did it, and he admits it was wrong. On the other hand, you’ve now got a team looking to void their contract with that player mostly because they gave him a contract with obscene amounts of money over a stupid number of years. So why not try and pawn it off as an issue of steroids rather than trying to weasel their way out of one of the many overpriced contracts they signed players to in hopes of purchasing another championship?
Then you’ve got Major League Baseball looking into suspending this player for admitting to participating in baseball’s biggest problem since Pete Rose’s gambling scandal. Why? Because he actually used steroids? I don’t think so. If they really cared about that, they’d give the Mitchel investigation some teeth rather than making it the farce it is now. No, MLB wants to make an example out of Mr. Giambi. By fingering "players, owners, everybody" Giambi laid blame exactly where it belongs, but no where near where the commissioner’s office wants it. Selig wants to sit back and act like he didn’t have a clue as to what was going on in locker rooms around the league and is just as shocked and saddened as everyone else. So, rather than applauding the only active player to man up for what he did, MLB and his team are looking to punish him. Meanwhile, one of baseball’s most sacred records is about to fall to a man who said he never "knowingly" used steroids, and apparently thinks flack seed oil is the fountain of life with a dash of instant muscle added in.
Behold, the national pastime in all it’s glory.
Alex Rodriguez will play for Chicago next year after opting out of his current contract with the Yankees. At least that’s what White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen claims. But wait! There’s more! A-Rod won’t be just playing for the Sox or the Cubs, he’ll play for them both. The Chicago Sun-Times quoted the outspoken manager as saying:
"A-Rod is going to play for the city of Chicago,” Guillen said. ”He’s going to talk to Mayor Daley. When we’re in town, he’s going to play for the White Sox. When we leave town, he will play for the Cubs. When we play against each other, and we’re home, he will play for us; when we play at Wrigley, he will represent the Cubs.
”Say it’s so. Mr. Daley will pay the Cubs, just to make everybody in Chicago. Now he’s a savior for both teams, and we got him.”
Of course Guillen wasn’t serious but it’s a perfect illustration of how rampant the speculation is surrounding Rodriguez. Most prognosticators have it as a foregone conclusion that A-Rod will opt out and depending on who you ask, could end up anywhere from Los Angeles to right back in New York and almost anywhere in between (Chicago, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, Texas).
While I would agree it seems likely that a Scott Boras client would jump at the chance to be a free agent again, it seems way to early to start talking about where the slugger would end up. But hey, who knows, maybe this will supplant the annual Manny wants out of Boston trade deadline stories…
The New York and Philadelphia media are buzzing about Ron Villone’s impending departure from the Yankees. NorthJersey.com reports that Villone hasn’t heard from the Yanks while the Philadelphia Daily News cites several sources that indicate the Phillies are practically drooling at the possibility of picking the lefty up once he hits the free agent market. Before Phils fans get too worked up, they should realize there’s plenty of demand for an effective left handed reliever and would likely be more than one bidder should Villone hit the market as predicted.
Also out of New York, it appears that the Mets aren’t interested in trading for current Pirate, Jose Castillo. The Mets seem to be content with their current situation and given their recent run of come from behind wins, I can’t say as I blame ‘em. Castillo started at third yesterday in place of the injured Jose Bautista and if the disgruntled infielder can prove himself capable on the hot corner it could help his trade value once Bautista returns to the lineup.
Yankee left handed reliever, Ron Villone is reportedly considering opting out of his contract. According to the New York Post, "With two lefties – Sean Henn and Mike Myers, who is pitching betterlately – it’s not likely the Yankees have room for Villone in their
bullpen." Combine that with the fact that they lefty is represented by Scott Boras and that pretty much seals the deal. Boras has never met an opt out clause he didn’t like. Villone compiled a 5.04 ERA over 80+ innings last year but I have no doubt several clubs would be interested in the southpaw. If I were Villone, I’d look first to the NL to boost my stats a bit before heading into free agency again.
Mlbtraderumors.com pointed me to a Metsblog post that claims the Yankees have traded Randy Johnson to the Arizona Diamond backs in exchange for "Luis Vizcaino and minor leaguers RHP Steven Jackson, RHP Ross Ohlendorf and SS Alberto Gonzalez."
The Metsblog is citing a reporter on a local radio station WFAN as his source. So… while the trade has been rumored for quite some time, take this for what it is, third or fourth hand information. If this is in fact the trade that occurs, it would seem that the Yankees got quite a bit in exchange for Johnson. The financial details of the deal will be interesting to look at as well.
Updates to come as more information becomes available.
Wait, did you hear that? Why, that was thousands of sports writers putting their finishing touches on their Roger Clemens to the Yankees story. Woohoo… more coverage of the most overhyped baseball story of the past 4 winters… Where will the Rocket land… If you wouldn’t mind, wake me when pitchers and catchers report. Thanks.
Right about now is when Barry Zito’s faith in "super agent" Scott Boras is paying off. As the pool of free agent pitching dwindles and teams are learning what it would take to make trades happen, Zito’s stock has slowly been rising. While only a few teams (Rangers, Mets, and Mariners) considered themselves contenders for Zito’s services before this week, the New York Yankees entered the scene and lit a fire under the collective butts of any interested team.
Yesterday, the New York papers were full of Randy Johnson trade rumors and the possible Yankee signing of Barry Zito. Today, the New York Post claims that the Giants are "signaling to Scott Boras a willingness to exceed the magical $100 million barrier for Barry Zito." See what happens when the Yankees get involved?
The Mets have long been rumored to be the front-runner to land Zito, however, they’ve stuck to their guns about only giving the pitcher a 5 year deal. Boras of course is asking for 6 or 7 years (and possibly a farm as well). The Texas Rangers have given Boras a Saturday deadline to respond to their 6 year offer, but I hope they’re not holding their breath.
The Yankees on the other hand are still trying to deal the "Big Unit" and are reportedly asking for 3 pitching prospects from the Diamondbacks in return. If that deal happens, expect to see Zito’s price climb even higher.
Great, now I’m going to have to send Brian Cashman and the Yankees a thank you note for the yule log they’ve just tossed into the Hot Stove. Reports are once again swirling that Yankee starter, Randy Johnson will soon be traded. The list of suitors is as long as Johnson is tall, and reportedly includes the Giants, Padres, Diamondbacks, both LA teams, and the Seattle Mariners. Johnson lives in Arizona and spent several years with the Diamondbacks before becoming a Yankee, however Arizona’s East Valley Tribune stated that "The D-Backs’ offer, believed to include a package of young pitchers, is “significantly behind” an offer from San Diego. However, the Big Unit does possess a full no-trade clause so any potential deal, no matter how lucrative it would be for the Yankees, must first receive Johnson’s approval.
If the Yankees do succeed in dealing away the future hall-of-famer, the repercussions will be sweeping in scope. Barry Zito’s agent, Scott Boras, will immediately begin to play the two free spending New York teams against each other for his client’s services. The Texas Rangers have told Boras that they’d like an answer on their offer to Zito by this weekend but with the deep pockets of the Yankees overshadowing the entire process, that seems unlikely at best. Boras might be despised by many GM’s, but he’s no idiot. The fact that the Yankees entering the picture would increase his client’s value by millions is not likely to go unnoticed by the game’s top agent.